Do you want to prepare Okra Soup but you naturally hate draw soups? Some people don’t like draw soups because it’s a bit nauseating to them. But here’s the perk about okro soup; it’s very cheap procure the ingredients you’ll use. But what do you do when you actually want to eat okro soup but can’t stand it’s drawing nature?
Read on to find out how you can prepare it.
- 3 cups (150g) Okra
- 10 chunks of beef
- 1 cup cow tripe cuts shaki
- 1 cut dry fis
- 1 tablespoon ground crayfish
- 2 big sweet peppers or tatashe
- 2 red onions
- 300g leafy vegetable (Nigerian spinach)
- 1 big seasoning cube (beef flavour)
- Dry pepper (to taste)
- Salt (to taste)
You don’t have to stick to there ingredients. For example, you can use prawns air shrimps if you don’t have crayfish.
- Chop the vegetables. Cut the okra into big chunks. The tinier you cut the okra, the more slimy it will be in the soup.
- Grind the crayfish.
- Wash the leaves, if you will use frozen spinach, defrost and cut into tiny pieces.
- If you will use shaki (cow tripe) for the soup, wash and boil till it is done. Add water sparingly because this soup needs to be thick. Add the soaked stockfish and dry fish to the cooked shaki. The length of time it will take to cook shaki depends on the cooking appliance utilized. You can take a bite to confirm this.
- When you are happy that the shaki and stock fish are well-done, add the beef, onions and stock cubes and cook till done. Then add the iced fish and cook till done.
- Pour red palm oil in another pot and heat the pot to dissolve the oil if it is congealed. Add the diced okra and start frying to kick-start the drawing process, add some meat stock from time to time till you notice the okra start to draw. This process should take a maximum of 5 mins to avoid over-cooking the okra.
- Now add the vegetable and stir well. Add all the meat and fish, crayfish, pepper and salt to taste. Then stir well.
Voila! Your soup is ready. You can eat this with any swallow food of your choice; amala, Eba, pounded yam etc. But guess what? You can take this soup alone! Just drink it the way you drink pepper soup.