How To Manage Your Domestic Staff
Who has not had any issues with Domestic Staff? Domestic staff help to ease the stress around the home and provide more time for your family and your work. They are our cooks, maids, cleaners and so on.
But having domestic staff can also be counterproductive if they are not well managed. The management starts with before employment and during employment. Even if you manage them and care for them properly, they will still act irrationally. So how do you manage your domestic staff?
Here are a few tips to help you manage your domestic staff.
- Background checks are important before your domestic staff resumes his/her duties. Insist on speaking to an ex-employer even if you go through an agency
- Get a general domestic staff screening blood test done at a reputable clinic or hospital. No use saving money going to a cheap clinic where you cannot rely on the results.
- Make sure you know at least two persons that are her relatives or guarantors.
- You need to know where she lives (family house or her base)
- Try and be responsible for her toiletries. This might sound harsh and old fashioned but you might be shocked at what you might find.
- If you have girls avoid hiring a houseboy, also with your son be careful with what a house girl does for him like giving him a bath the older he gets etc.
- If she has no reason to enter your matrimonial bedroom then let her stay out of it
- Short dresses, tight jeans, eyeliners, lipsticks, and weave-on, these are things that you might allow unconsciously but think about this – who are they trying to impress? their priority is the housework or caring for the children.
- Carry out medical tests at least 6 months after they start in your home.
- Take time to discuss job description and expectations and also carry out reviews now and then. Important to let your domestic staff know how they are doing and how you feel about their performance.
- Avoid discussions in which highly personal information is shared (financial, sexual, marital, medical, religious beliefs) and learn to re-direct conversations of this nature
- Always be security conscious. Be careful in your conversations, dealings and try not to be too predictable in your routine
Finally, try to be fair in your dealings with your domestic staff. Consider your position as an opportunity to contribute your quota to society. Most times, they’re the one handling your food. Now think about it, do you want to be wicked to someone who handles your food? I doubt it!
Please be careful always when employing and dont be desperate ! Watch the video below ..Too many bad things happening these days