Tips For Preparing Baby Food
When you realise that your child is ready to switch from maternal milk to solid dishes, you might not need to buy prepared meals in the store, but try to make baby food for your kid yourself. Homemade baby food in Nigeria can be as tasty and beneficial as the store brand and will contain all the nutrients needed for health and growth. If you like to cook, this is a great way to bring your culinary skills to a new level. So how do you prepare this meals for your little one?
- Buy the freshest and most quality fruits, meat, vegetables you can afford.
- Store products at a safe temperature.
- Before touching raw foods wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
- Clean well and wash the ingredients before cooking. Cut out any contaminated areas of fruits and vegetables and excess fat from meat.
- Use two different cutting boards for vegetables/fruits and meat. So you can avoid getting harmful bacteria from one product to another.
- All kitchen appliances and tools should be clean, including sponges and plates.
- If you are making a fruit puree, pre-heating is not obligatory.
- Vegetables need a good heat treatment – it is advisable to steam them. This allows you to save the vitamins and minerals. But do not cook vegetables too long so as not to destroy important nutrients.
- Grind the products to a smooth texture and consistency.
- Salt, sugar, and seasonings should be used only in extreme cases. Your child will like the natural taste of fresh products.
So mothers, what tips would you give other mums who are trying to cook food for their little ones?