Turning your Passion into a Business
The vision for women & children only swim lessons in a safe and secure environment was birthed by Aderoju Ope-Ajayi, who is a certified Swim Instructor; Lifeguard and Coach.
She started her swimming at a very tender age with her dad, who was then a sports enthusiast and one of the National Swimming Coaches & Nigerian Sports Official. She also took part in many age group competitions and culminated that with gold medals in the Nigerian University Games and the West African University games representing The University of Lagos.
She was also one of the Accredited FINA Swimming Officials during the All African Games hosted in Abuja, Nigeria.
Aderoju is highly focused, dynamic and motivated team player with over 15 years Sales & Distribution experience in Telecommunications (GSM) & Pay TV industry, with expertise in Business Strategy, Sales, Key Account Management and Customer Care Relations.
She has successfully implemented and managed high value businesses in the Telecommunications & Pay-TV industry, managing and leading teams to achieve company goals and objectives. It just made her progression into entrepreneurship the next best thing.
In the last decade, Aderoju has an invested in her swimming development and gathered an impressive collection of swimming certifications, to ensure she delivers the best swimming education to her students.
Some of her certifications are:
• Water Safety Instructor
• Water Safety Instructor Trainer
• Lifeguard (shallow pool, deep pool, waterfront, water parks & youth camps)
• Lifeguard Trainer (shallow pool, deep pool, waterfront, water parks & youth camps)
• First Aid, CPR & AED
She was also the winner of the WIMBIZ Impact Investment competition 2017 where she received seed funding towards the achievement of her business goals & objectives.
In October 2018, Aderoju was selected as Top 30 out of the Top 50 African Entrepreneurs for the African Entrepreneurship Award. She further went on to be among the winners in the AEA with a Multi-thousand dollar grant. Aderoju’s passion is to teach as many women and children the art of swimming, groom competitive swimmers and ensure water safety knowledge is accessible to All through her companies – Dolphin Aquatic Center & Dolphin Swim School.
Dolphin Swim school is a swim school exclusively for Women and Children, where they learn how to swim with trained & certified female instructors in a safe and secure environment. We offer various swim programs from Beginners classes to advanced (Competitive trainings) for both
Women & Children. We are the first in Nigeria to do this.
Aderoju is happily married and the marriage is blessed with 2 boys.
Do enjoy the exclusive interview and inspiring journey with Mrs. Aderoju Ope-Ajayi
1) What is your greatest passion? – My Passion is to see lives saved through the knowledge of Water Safety. I am passionate about the growth and empowerment of women in every area of their life, and I want to have avenues to help women experience this.
2) As a professional swim coach , What is your advice to families especially women and children – BE present and available. As a mother, wife, Child. In whatever space or sphere you and yourself, BE PRESENT! I tell my children and remind myself all the time, to be present.
When its Mum & Dad Time, I’m present at that moment, no distractions, When its family time, same, when its work time, same.
3) What is your advice for being successful in a career or business? – Never stop learning, Evolving and don’t be afraid to fail.
I personally believe that the more you learn, the more equipped you are to grow and be better in anything you do