Breastfeeding can be a wonderful bonding experience for mothers.. Breast Milk is the best food for babies. However some mothers have issues when breastfeeding like lactation problems. As your baby continues sucking the probability is that the breast milk production will increase.
Babies usually bite at some point in time during breastfeeding especially if they are not really hungry…just want to suck for soothing.
1. Put your little finger into the corner of your baby’s mouth in between his gums. Gently distract your baby who will bite your finger instead of the breast.
2. Do not pull away your baby away from the breast suddenly as he begins to bite. He may bite you harder in the process of impulse, making you sore further.
3. Do not scream loudly as soon as your baby bites. Your intense reaction may cause your little one to panic, who may not breastfeed again. Your baby may also bite again to check for the same reaction, like a play!
5. Latch on your baby the right away. Wrong breastfeeding positions cause more bites. Maintain eye contact with your baby while nursing.
6. Habituate your baby to a teething toy after the feed so that he finds an alternative to bite on.