We have all heard about eating frequently and smaller meals throughout the day to boost metabolism. Research shows that spacing out your meals five to six times a day and eating smaller portions is the ideal way to lose weight.
When you eat two or three meals a day, after few hours your body goes into starvation mode due to a decrease in energy expenditure. This in turn reduces your metabolic rate in order for your body to conserve energy. More so, when you skip meals your body will gain fat and start to burn muscle for energy.
Below are some tips to help you reach your dietary goals and space out your meals:
1) Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner and then eat healthy snacks in between each meal. Finish off with an evening snack. Don`t space out too much, this will result in your blood sugar dropping. Try to eat every three hour!
2) It is important to keep in mind that snacking junk food will not substitute a meal. Snacks are low in nutrients and high in fat. Snacking will make you gain weight and set you up for failure, when it come to a healthy diet. Fruits and vegetables are great to munch on for snacks.
3) Focus on size. Increasing meal intake should not result in doubling the food you eat each day. You should intake recommended amount of calories each day and avoid overeating.
4) A great way to break up your meals is to take your three big meals and portion it into six meals. You are eating the same amount as you would have in 3 meals but now you are eating more frequently and your body will not be as hungry.
5) Reduce your carbohydrate and fat intake and incorporate more proteins, whole-grain foods, nuts, lean fish, low-fat dairy and unsaturated fats.
Eating frequently is good for the body, however it should be done in moderation and each meal should be packed with nutrients contained in the six classes of food.