Weekend Family Recipe: Catfish Pepper Soup
It is almost that time of the year again, for those of us Christians that observe the Christmas Season. During this period we live to eat, drink and just be merry. There’s always lots and lots to eat and drink and some of such foods popular around Christmas is Pepper Soup. This soup is widely enjoyed in most cultured and I would say a soup that can lead to so many variations.If there is one recipe that can switch up each time, it is pepper soup. It all depends on availability of spices and my personal preference for that day.
What is inherent in pepper soup is the hot pepper; of course, the rest is up to the cook.
Ingredients for Catfish Pepper Soup
- 500g Cat Fish
- 4 Ehu or Ariwo or Calabash Nutmeg seeds
- Habanero Pepper or chilli pepper (to taste)
- A few scent leaves
- 2 medium onions
- Salt (to taste)
- big stockcubes
- To prepare Cat Fish Pepper Soup, wash and cut the cat fish into 1-inch thick slices. Boil some hot water and pour on the pieces of fish, stir and remove immediately. This toughens the skin of the fish so that it does not fall apart during cooking.
- Place the pieces of fish in a pot and pour water to just cover the fish, add the stock cubes and bring to the boil.
- Once it starts to boil add the ground ehu, onions, habanero pepper and scent leaves and continue cooking.
- Once the catfish is done, add salt to taste and leave to simmer for about 5 minutes and it’s ready!
- Catfish Pepper Soup should always be served hot. It can be eaten alone with a chilled drink but you can enjoy it with white rice.