Simple but effective god-parenting tips
So are you god mother or god father? A lot of people are god parents but do not really understand what it means to be one. Although parents are the most important influence in a child’s life, the role god-parents can’t be overemphasized. Godparents are among the most important people at a christening, who make big promises to encourage their godchild to grow in faith and commit to helping them understand how to live their life in a Christian way.
So if you happen to be a god parent of a child, what are you expected to do? You can check out these extremely simple tips to be an effective and cordial god-parent.
- Give your time to your godchild to talk to about the bigger questions of life – questions about hope, faith and love.
- Model and encourage them to develop Christian values – being kind and compassionate towards others, being generous towards others in need with time or money and standing against things in the world that cause injustice and suffering.
- Pray for your godchild through the ups and downs of their life and their faith journey.
- Show them practically how to make good choices in life, for themselves and for others. This might mean talking to them about how to stay healthy, how to resist temptations that can harm us and other people, how to care for God’s amazing world and how to handle peer pressure as they grow older.
- Help them to learn more about the Christian faith, through their church and in other ways. Going to church with them, talking about what the Bible shows us and helping them learn how to pray are all brilliant ways to support your godchild.
It’s a demanding role, but help is always at hand, through your church, and of course from God, since its a more spiritual task.