If you have a sweet tooth then you may need to start looking for alternative ways to curb your cravings either substituting it for smaller natural foods that have little sugar or using wholesome ingredients like dates as sweeteners.
Straight from the writings of Dr. Victor Frank, founder/creator of Total Body Modification, here are the 78 reasons to avoid sugar.
1. Sugar can suppress the immune system.
2. It can upset the body’s mineral balance.
3. Sugar can cause hyperactivity, anxiety, concentration difficulties, and crankiness in children.
4. It can cause drowsiness and decreased activity in children.
5. It can adversely affect children’s school grades.
6. It can produce a significant rise in triglycerides.
7. It contributes to a weakened defense against bacterial infection.
8. It can cause kidney damage.
9. It can reduce helpful high density cholesterol.
10. It can promote an elevation of harmful cholesterol.
11. It may lead to chromium deficiency.
12. It may cause copper deficiency.
13.It interferes with absorption of calcium and magnesium.
14. It may lead to cancer of the breast, ovaries, prostate, and rectum.
15. It can cause colon cancer with an increased risk in women.
16. It can be a risk factor in gall bladder cancer.
17. It can increase fasting levels of blood glucose.
18. It can weaken eyesight.
19. It raises the level of a neurotransmitter called serotonin, which can narrow blood vessels.
20. It can cause hypoglycemia.
21 It can produce acidic stomach.
22. It can raise adrenaline levels in children.
23. It can increase the risk of coronary heart disease.
24. It can speed the aging process, causing wrinkles and gray hair.
25. It can lead to alcoholism.
26. It can produce tooth decay.
27. It can contribute to weight gain and obesity.
28. High intake increases the risk of Crohn’s disease and Ulcerative Colitis.
29. It can case a raw, inflamed intestinal tract in person with gastric or duodenal ulcers.
30. It can cause arthritis.
31. It can cause asthma.
32. It can cause candidiasis (yeast infection).
33. It can lead to the formation of gallstones.
34. It can lead to the formation of kidney stones.
35. It can cause ischemic heart disease.
36. It can cause appendicitis.
37. It can exacerbate the symptoms of multiple sclerosis.
38. It can indirectly cause hemorrhoids.
39. It can cause varicose veins.
40. It can elevate glucose and insulin responses in oral contraception users.
41. It can lead to periodontal disease.
42. It can contribute to osteoporosis.
43. It contributes to saliva acidity.
44. It can cause a decrease in insulin sensitivity.
45. It leads to a decreased glucose tolerance.
46. It can decrease growth hormone.
47. It can increase total cholesterol.
48. It can increase systolic blood pressure.
49. It can change the structure of protein causing interference with protein absorption.
50. It causes food allergies.
51. It can contribute to diabetes.
52. It can cause toxemia during pregnancy.
53. It can contribute to eczema in children.
54. It can cause cardiovascular disease.
55. It can impair the structure of DNA.
56. It can cause cataracts.
57. It can cause emphysema.
58. It can cause atherosclerosis.
59. It can cause free radical formation in the bloodstream.
60. It lowers the enzymes’ abilities to function.
61. It can cause the loss of tissue elasticity and function.
62. It can cause liver cells to divide, increasing the size of the liver.
63. It can increase the amount of fat in the liver.
64. It can increase kidney size and produce pathological changes in the kidney.
65. It can overstress the pancreas, causing damage.
66. It can increase the body’s fluid retention.
67. Sugar can cause constipation.
68. Sugar can cause myopia (nearsightedness).
69. Sugar can compromise the lining of the capillaries.
70. Sugar can cause hypertension.
71. Sugar can cause headaches, including migraines.
72. Sugar can cause an increase in delta, alpha, and theta brain waves, which can alter the mind’s ability to think clearly.
73. Sugar can cause depression.
74. Sugar can increase insulin responses in those consuming high-sugar diets compared to low-sugar diets.
75. Sugar increases bacterial fermentation in the colon.
76. Sugar can cause hormonal imbalance.
77. Sugar can increase blood platelet adhesiveness, which increases risk of blood clots.
78. Sugar can increase the risk of Alzheimer’s Disease.
Health is always moving on a continuum between sickness/disease and wellness. The only time health stands still is when the heart no longer beats.