In America, it’s thanksgiving season. During this time of the year, families sit together on the dining table with their friends and enjoy a meal of roasted turkey, macaroni and cheese, sweet potatoes etc while reminiscing on what their thankful for. Sadly, we don’t have that tradition in Nigeria as every other day is thanksgiving for us. I guess that’s a good thing. Since we don’t have that tradition , you and your family can enjoy something similar. This is why we’ve brought to you a similar way of enjoying this goodness. But instead of making roasted turkey, roasted chicken is what we have here.
Roasted Whole Chicken makes a nice treat any day and on every occasion but the fear of messing it up keeps a lot of people from preparing this yummy recipe.
The most important thing you need to do when roasting whole chicken is to make sure that the chicken is thoroughly seasoned. There are many types of seasoning and vegetables you can use for your roasted chicken and there a many ways to go about it but the method detailed on this page is how to do it!
What you’ll need;
- Whole chicken (thoroughly cleaned and defeathered)
- 1 small Onion
- 5 Scotch Bonnet Peppers
- 3 Garlic Cloves
- 1 small ginger root (grated)
- Seasoning Cubes
- Chilli Powder(as much as you can tolerate)
- 1 tablespoon of vegetable oil
- Thyme and curry
- Blend the onions, garlic, ginger, peppers, seasoning cubes, butter, vegetable oil. Ensure it’s a fine mix.
- Rub the marinade on the chicken including the insides and allow to sit for 3-5 hours. A better option is to do this and put it in the refrigerator overnight. That way, the seasoning will “enter” the chicken. Put it in an airtight container, preferably ziplock so your fridge won’t smell like chicken seasoning.
- Pre-Heat your oven to 180 degrees and place the chicken in the oven. Roast for the first 45 minutes, flip it around till it cooks on all sides.
- Allow the chicken brown on each side and serve.
Note: It’s advisable to use the broiler breed of chicken as it gets tender faster than the other breeds.
You can eat your roasted chicken with side dishes like rice, sweet potatoes or anything you want to.